Period: March – May 2015
Client: Live Event / Music Festival
Subject: The Great Western Fan Festival
The Great Western Fan Festival is a three-day music festival in Visalia, California with the best gospel singers, groups, and quartets from around the nation. The festival had two target audiences to attract. One was men and women over the age of 40, in the states of California, Nevada, and Arizona, who love gospel music. The other was current fans of artists who were performing at the festival.
The goals were to;
- Increase volume of people to the ticket sales site for the festival
- Create brand awareness through online ads by geo-targeting specific audiences
- Build, engage and inform target audiences through various social media platforms
- Excite existing audience of current “fans” through talent group’s social media outlets
Through these goals, the objectives were;
- The festival website see over 15,000 clicks to ticket sales section.
- Engage over 2,500 people on the various social media platforms.
- Impressions and reach of the festival brand each see over 50,000 views.
Below are the strategies and tactics that I used before, during, and after the festival.
- Social Media Marketing: The idea was to create one month of interactive content leading up to the festival. Everything from which artists were attending to videos of the talent coming to the event. The daily content was tailored specifically to each social media outlet.
- Talent/Celebrity Sharing: Since there were over a dozen talent groups performing at the festival, outreach to their publicists and managers to share festival content on their social media outlets was a priority. This resulted in the festival seeing a higher online reach.
- Social Media Ads: Since the target audience’s age group usage of Facebook was extremely high, all online adverting was directed towards the Facebook page.
- Live Streaming: The Periscope app was used to live-stream the event during various times each day during the 3 days. Over 75 people watch with a 100% retention rate each time it went live.
- Online Contest: People were encouraged to take a picture of themselves at the festival using the hashtag #gwff15. One lucky winner would get a sign autograph CD from their favorite artist. We had a dozen people enter the contest.
- Video Creation/Editing: During the three-day event, several short videos of different performers were created, edited and posted on social media outlets within hours of the actual performance.
Below were the final results.
- Engagement: 3,134
- Total Reach: 60,888
- Total Impressions: 102,100
- Web Clicks: 20,340
In total, the goals were achieved and objectives numbers went beyond expectation. The festival itself saw sold out evening crowds all three nights.
I was told by the event organizer that they had to add more bandwidth to the website before it crashed during the event because so many people were visiting the site through the digital marketing content.