Period: March – May 2018
Client: Visalia Triathlon (VITRI)
Subject: Sporting Event
The annual Visalia Triathlon or “VITRI” as the triathletes is held every year in the spring at El Diamante High School in Visalia, California. The event offers a 1-mile swim, 11-mile bike course, and 3-mile run. The 2018 event offered something very new as 100% of the proceeds will go to the ProYouth XL Program. It provides comprehensive expanded learning programs at the elementary, middle, and high school sites throughout Tulare and Monterey Counties.
The main goals were to;
- Raise the overall brand awareness with triathletes within Central California.
- Increase athlete entries by 25%.
The biggest objective was to then find the niche audience on Facebook that would not only have the most relevancy but athletes who would most likely sign up for the event and also engage with the content that was being advertised on Facebook. I choose the following audience below.
- Location: Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield (+50 miles)
- Sex: Male/Female
- Age: 18 – 65+
- Interest: Triathlons, Running, Cyclying
- Total Audience = 240,000
Below are the strategies and tactics that I used.
- Facebook ADs: I was able to geo-target the audience listed with A/B testing in each ad with different triathlon pictures from last year’s event.
- Online Deals: As the event came closer, I created posts with discount deals that gave a sense of urgency to sign up before the deal was gone.
- Online Monitoring: I monitored the Facebook page if anyone interacted with a post or had a question about the event.
- Photography: I took pictures of all three events and of as many triathletes participating as I could, The short-term idea was to get people excited about their participation and share the picture of themselves on their Facebook account and the long-term idea was to create new photography for next year’s marketing campaign for the event.
Below were the final results.
- Total Reach: 12,607 people
- Total Engagement: 270 people
- Athlete Entries: The 2018 VITRI saw a 61.1% increase in athlete entries.
This was the first year the VITRI took social media marketing seriously and the biggest takeaway was that in finding the right audience to target on Facebook the Visalia Triathlon was able to meet its overall goals and plans to build off that success for the 2019 VITRI.
This campaign won an award at the 2019 Public Relations Society of America: Central California Image Awards ceremony. See Below.
- Public Relations Society of America – Award of Merit: Social Media Campaign